When three or more vehicles are involved in a crash, the accident is considered a multi-vehicle accident (also known as a pile-up or chain reaction accident). Hiring an experienced car accident lawyer is crucial if you are involved in a multi-vehicle accident. You want an attorney to listen to you, investigate what happened, and fight for compensation.
Contact Chatham Gilder Howell Pittman today if you have been injured in a multi-vehicle accident in North Mississippi. We offer a free, confidential consultation to get started with reviewing your case.
What is a multi-vehicle accident?
Multi-vehicle accidents can occur on any roadway, but there are three common types:
- Rear-end collisions
- Accidents at intersections
- Accidents on highways
Many factors also contribute to a multi-vehicle accident. Some common causes of multi-vehicle accidents include:
- Driving without due regard for the conditions of the road (wet, icy, foggy, construction, etc.)
- Poor visibility
- Congested traffic
- Faulty car parts
- Drunk or fatigued driving
- Tailgating too closely
- Driving while distracted due to phones, accidents on the roadway, or other circumstances
What should I do after a multi-vehicle accident?
Initially, after a multi-vehicle accident, focus on making sure you are in a safe place and seek medical attention. Getting medical care after a car accident is essential as some injuries may not be immediately apparent.
Second, ensure the police have responded to the scene of the accident. When you go to file a claim with the insurance or file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver, the police report will be a helpful piece of information to have to understand what happened and who may be at fault.
Third, if you can do so safely, document the accident scene. Take pictures and video of the accident. Document the names of the drivers involved and witnesses. If one of the factors in the accident was low visibility, remember to take caution as you exit your vehicle, as other cars could still be a threat.
Lastly, if you were injured in a multi-vehicle accident, focus on your recovery. And the best way to do this is to hire a knowledgeable and experienced multi-vehicle accident attorney who will take the necessary steps to seek compensation from insurance companies, the at-fault driver, and any other parties liable for the accident.
What types of injuries are common in a multi-vehicle accident?
Unfortunately, multi-vehicle accidents can have severe injuries because of the possibility of more than one impact. Injuries include:
- Sprains and Strains from the forces exerted on the body
- Concussions and other brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones in the arms, legs, or ribs
- Cuts and lacerations to the skin
- Internal injuries, such as internal bleeding and organ damage
Because of the risk of multiple impacts and a car being crushed between other vehicles, death is also possible when there are multi-vehicle accidents.
Who is liable? Who will pay for my medical bills?
One or more of the drivers involved in the car accident may be responsible for the accident. In some cases, a third party could also be liable for the accident. The third party could be the government, a business, or a bar owner.
Suppose the at-fault driver was working at the time of the accident. In that case, an attorney will investigate how the driver’s work impacted the accident and if the employer shares liability for the accident. If the individual was drunk at the time of the accident, then a lawyer will investigate whether the bar owner shares in the liability because they served the intoxicated driver. And lastly, if road conditions, like poor signage or potholes, were the cause of the accident, then the government may also share in the liability for the accident.
Identifying who is liable is one of many necessary steps a multi-vehicle accident lawyer will take on your behalf. An experienced attorney at Chatham Gilder Howell Pittman will guide your case from identifying who is liable to fighting for your rights in court if a lawsuit becomes necessary.
How much can I recover?
The amounts you may recover will vary based on your injuries. You may be able to recover:
- Economic damages, which are damages that are easier to calculate and prove with documentation, such as:
- Medical bills, including prescriptions and doctors visits
- Loss of income
- Future loss of earning potential if your injuries prevent you from returning to your work
- Noneconomic damages, which are subjective damages and harder to calculate, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
How can an accident lawyer help?
A lawyer from Chatham Gilder Howell Pittman is ready to meet with you and advise you on your next steps. Our multi-vehicle accident lawyer will:
- Complete an investigation, including requesting and reviewing police reports, talking to witnesses, and working to determine who is at fault for the accident
- Handle insurance claims, including working with your insurance and the at-fault party’s insurance to file claims and seek compensation to aid your recovery
- Fight for compensation from all responsible parties to the accident, including third parties, both in and out of court
Contact a Multi-Vehicle Accident Lawyer from Chatham Gilder Howell Pittman Today
Chatham Gilder Howell Pittman offers a free consultation and will only charge you a fee once we recover compensation for you. Contact a multi-vehicle accident lawyer today to get started.