Lyft provides passengers in North Mississippi with an affordable and convenient alternative to public transportation and taxis. With so many rideshare vehicles currently on the road, however, Lyft accidents are more likely to occur. If you or a loved one has been injured in a Lyft accident, Chatham Gilder Howell Pittman, can help.
We have decades of experience handling car accident claims and a demonstrated track record of success, having recovered millions of dollars for our clients. Although Lyft and its drivers are required to carry liability insurance coverage, recovering damages can be challenging. Insurance companies focus on their bottom line and often attempt to pay as little as possible.
We know how to level the playing field and will fight hard to get you the maximum compensation you deserve. When you become our client, you will work directly with an experienced Lyft accident attorney who will handle all the details of your claim. Contact our office today to schedule an appointment.
Factors Involved in a Lyft Accident
There are several factors involved in Lyft accidents:
- Lyft drivers own their vehicles and typically do not have commercial driver’s licenses
- Lyft only requires drivers to be licensed for one year, so many drivers are inexperienced
- Drivers work long shifts, which increases the risk of driver fatigue
Most importantly, rideshare drivers continuously use GPS navigation and smartphones and frequently travel in unfamiliar areas, which increases the risk of distracted driving. Nonetheless, they have a legal obligation to operate their vehicles in a safe manner and avoid causing injuries to passengers, other motorists, and pedestrians.
Determining Liability For Lyft Accidents
Depending on the circumstances, both Lyft and its drivers can be held liable for accidents that result in injuries. The insurance laws governing rideshare accidents are complicated, however, and coverage depends on whether:
- The Lyft driver logged onto the app and connected to a passenger
- The Lyft driver was traveling to retrieve a passenger
- The passenger was in the Lyft vehicle and being taken to their destination
When the rideshare app is not activated, the Lyft driver’s auto liability insurance is in force; drivers must carry the minimum amount of liability coverage required in Mississippi. When the app is on but the Lyft driver waiting to be connected to a passenger, the driver is required to have additional coverage in the following amounts:
- $50,000 bodily injury liability coverage per person injured in an accident
- $100,000 of bodily injury liability coverage per accident
- $25,000 of property damage liability coverage per accident
In addition, Lyft provides $200,000 in liability coverage during this period. Finally, when the app is on and the driver is traveling to retrieve a passenger, or a passenger is traveling in a Lyft vehicle, Lyft is required to provide $1 million in automobile insurance, which will be the primary source of coverage.
Why Choose Us?
At Chatham Gilder Howell Pittman, we have in-depth knowledge of the insurance laws involved in Lyft accidents and know how to fight back against the tactics insurance companies use to deny claims. Once we determine that you have a viable Lyft accident claim, we will:
- Investigate the site of the accident
- Identify and interview witnesses, including the Lyft driver
- Obtain and review the police report and Lyft’s accident report
- Subpoena the Lyft driver’s GPS and smartphone data
- Handle all communication with Lyft, its insurer, and opposing counsel
While we prefer to resolve personal injury claims through settlement negotiations, we prepare each case for trial to achieve the best possible outcome. If the insurance company fails to pay the full value of your claim, we will take them to court.
Recoverable Damages in a Lyft Accident
In a successful Lyft accident claim, you may be awarded economic and non-economic damages such as:
- Medical expenses and rehabilitative costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability/disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment of life
If a loved one has been killed in a Lyft accident, we can help you file a wrongful death lawsuit to obtain compensation for the loss of companionship and support your loved one would have provided. You can depend on us to provide you with compassionate representation and protect your rights
If you have been seriously injured in a Lyft accident, you may be hesitant to file a lawsuit, but taking legal action is the best way to hold Lyft and the rideshare driver accountable for their negligence. Because we understand the physical, emotional, and financial challenges facing you, your initial consultation will be free, and we will charge no attorneys’ fees until we obtain compensation for you. The sooner you contact our office, the sooner we can start working on your claim.
Chatham Gilder Howell Pittman helps those who have been injured in Lyft accidents throughout Northern Mississippi including the cities of Southaven and Hernando as well as the counties of DeSoto, Marshall, Tate, and Tunica.