Every day throughout Mississippi motor vehicle accidents occur. Some are relatively minor while others prove to be fatal. However, even a low-speed fender bender can result in serious injuries that can affect your well-being for months or years to come. The insurance company is unlikely to consider the full scope of your damages, which is why you need a legal team that you can trust to help you get the compensation you deserve for medical expenses, loss of income, and other expenses.
Recovering Damages After a Motor Vehicle Accident
Talking to insurers can be a hassle at best and a true challenge at worst. That is why it is important to seek experienced legal representation before accepting an insurance settlement in any accident case. At Chatham Gilder Howell Pittman, our lawyers serve as advocates for accident victims who have been harmed as the result of someone else’s negligence. We are committed to helping you seek the compensation you need and deserve.
Have questions about your accident or injuries? Call us at 662-446-5879 to schedule an appointment for a complimentary review of your case.
Skilled Representation for All Types of Injury and Accident Claims Involving a Motor Vehicle
Our lawyers primarily handle personal injury claims. This means you will receive skilled representation from a legal team that works almost exclusively with accident cases. We understand how to effectively state a claim in all types of motor vehicle accident cases, including those involving:
- Car crashes — including hit-and-run accidents and those caused by uninsured or underinsured motorists
- Drunk driving accidents — helping victims navigate the complex criminal and civil justice system
- Head-on and rear-end collisions — that result in catastrophic injuries, including serious spinal cord and neck injuries, leading to permanent disability
- Distracted driving accidents — caused by cellphone and tablet computer use while driving
- Truck collisions — caused by fatigue, defective vehicle parts, poor vehicle maintenance, or general trucking company negligence
- Motorcycle crashes — resulting in serious injuries, including scarring and disfigurement
- Pedestrian strikes and collisions — including hit-and-run collisions and those occurring while riding a bicycle
- Bus accidents – helping victims injured in public transportation accidents
How Long Do I Have To File A Lawsuit After A Car Accident In Mississippi?
In Mississippi, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims (including car accidents) is three years. This means that if you’re injured in a car accident in Mississippi, you generally have three years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit.
However, it’s important to note:
- Property Damage: If you’re solely seeking compensation for damage to your vehicle or other property, the three-year statute of limitations also applies.
- Wrongful Death: If someone dies as a result of a car accident, the statute of limitations for a wrongful death claim is three years. However, the clock typically starts ticking from the date of the deceased person’s death, which might be later than the date of the accident.
- Claims against Government Entities: If your claim is against a city or county government, the time limits and requirements might differ. There are often notice requirements where you have to inform the governmental entity of your intent to sue within a certain timeframe, which can be much shorter than the standard statute of limitations.
- Exceptions: There are certain scenarios where the statute of limitations can be “tolled” or paused. For example, if the injured party is minor or mentally incompetent, the clock might not start ticking until the disability is removed (like when the minor reaches the age of majority).
It’s crucial to speak with a local personal injury attorney as soon as possible after an accident to ensure you understand your rights and the relevant deadlines.
Contact Our Mississippi Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers
Whether you suffered injuries, your passenger sustained injuries, or a loved one was killed in a fatal crash, our motor vehicle accident attorneys know the right course of action to see to it that you are well-compensated for your pain and suffering. Contact us today for a consultation regarding your case.
Chatham Gilder Howell Pittman helps those who have been injured in a motor vehicle accident throughout Northern Mississippi including the cities of Southaven and Hernando as well as the counties of DeSoto, Marshall, Tate, and Tunica.