A collision with another vehicle, a slip on a spill in a grocery store or a violent attack from a dog can happen in an instant, leaving you confused, disoriented and unsure of what you need to do to secure fair compensation quickly. At Chatham Gilder Howell Pittman, we know the right steps to take after an accident because we’ve focused our attention on personal injury claims and helping accident victims in North Mississippi and West Tennessee. Educating our clients about their situation and making sure they get the compensation they need and deserve is something our track record shows time and again.
The Steps You Need to Follow After an Accident
In order to help your claim for maximum compensation, there are several steps you should take following an accident. They include:
- Evaluating the situation. This includes assessing the damage to your vehicle, the type and extent of injuries you suffered, and whether or not you are still in harm’s way. Get to safety after an accident to avoid further injury.
- Get insurance information from the other party. Whether you suspect the other person was at fault or not, make sure to get their insurance information. Their policy may cover your injuries or damage to your property without you even realizing it.
- Document everything about the accident. This includes taking pictures with your cellphone or having a friend take pictures for you. If you were injured in a slip-and-fall accident, take pictures of the substance on the floor. If you were attacked by an animal, determine if signs were posted indicating a danger.
- Accept medical attention. It’s important to receive medical attention for injuries you sustained in the accident. Report any aches or pains — no matter how minor they may seem. Many serious injuries can develop days after an accident. Reporting them sooner rather than later can ensure they are linked to the accident.
- Relay all details to the police. Tell police everything you remember about the accident, even minor details. Also, remember to get the names and telephone numbers of everyone involved in case you need to contact them later on.
- Get a copy of the police report. This is for your records but it may be useful if the insurer disputes what happened.
- Document all trips to the doctor, medical treatments and prescriptions associated with your injuries. All of these costs may be covered by insurance or recovered in a personal injury lawsuit. Proper documentation will ensure proper compensation.
- Talk to a lawyer before talking to the insurance company. We advise our clients to never give a statement to the insurer before they have had a chance to speak with us first. Insurers are in business to make a profit and may use things that you say to support their decision to deny your claim.
Need Further Help?
If you have questions about the steps you should take after an accident or would like us to review your case, contact our Mississippi law office to schedule a free and confidential initial consultation. Call (662) 222-0597. There are no fees unless we recover compensation for you.