A hit-and-run accident can be a traumatic experience. Not only were you just involved in a car accident, but the perpetrator seemingly escaped justice—potentially leaving you to foot the bill.
The good news is, you still have rights following a hit-and-run accident. Learn how to protect these rights and recover the compensation you deserve in the wake of a hit-and-run accident.
Protecting Your Rights After A Hit-And-Run
If the hit-and-run accident occurred while you were inside your vehicle, taking the following measures can help increase your chances of recovering compensation from your insurance company:
- If you, your passengers, or the other driver is injured, contact 911 immediately. Take a moment to ensure everyone is OK and safe. It is important that if you are injured you seek treatment immediately. If you wait and try to tough it out, insurance companies may view this as some intervening cause of injury. Do not wait longer than 7 days after your accident for initial treatment.
- Once safe, contact the authorities. Contact the police and give them your location. They may ask for a description of the offending vehicle; describe it to the best of your ability.
- Gather evidence at the scene. Take photos of any physical damages and injuries sustained at the scene. Make note of the location of the accident scene and whether there are any nearby traffic cameras that may be used as additional evidence.
- Collect witnesses’ contact information. Gather the contact information of any witnesses at the scene. They may be able to recall details of the vehicle or the driver you did not see.
- Contact your insurance company. Depending on the type of insurance coverage you have, you may be able to recover the compensation you need to pay for damages quite easily. Working with an experienced personal injury attorney can make this step of the process easier.
Involved In An Accident? Contact Us Today
If you have been injured in a hit-and-run accident, do not let the responsible party get away with their negligence. When you work with The Lawyers That Listen, you’ll have a team on your side that has achieved results for clients across the state of Mississippi. We’re here to fight for you, too.
Contact Chatham Gilder Howell Pittman today to schedule a free initial consultation.