When we take a drug to treat a medical condition, we expect that the drug will make us better, not worse. Unfortunately, in recent years we have seen many examples of drugs that cause serious injury or death. Although big pharmaceutical companies may seem intimidating, don’t let that stop you from seeking the compensation you deserve.
A manufacturer’s negligence and focus on profits should never leave you or a loved one suffering from a serious injury or feeling helpless after a loved one’s death. If you or a loved one’s life has been changed for the worse by prescription drug side effects, compensation may be possible with the help of a qualified product liability attorney. Chatham Gilder Howell Pittman can help determine if you have a case.
Dangers Drugs With Serious Side Effects
There are many prescription drugs that are known to have dangerous side effects. A small sampling of drugs that are known to cause injury includes:
- Blood thinners such as Heparin or Coumadin (Warfarin) can cause life-threatening bleeding from even a small cut or wound.
- Painkillers such as OxyContin and Percocet can slow the heart rate and hinder breathing.
- Arthritis drugs such as Bextra and Celebrex can cause kidney damage, liver damage and gastrointestinal bleeding with long-term use.
- Cholesterol medications such as Zocor and Pravachol can produce side effects such as liver damage, muscle inflammation, and cataracts.
- Sleep medication such as Ambien has been known to cause serious injury in cases of sleepwalking or “sleep-driving.”
- Mood drugs such as Prozac have been associated with suicidal thoughts, hostility, and violent behavior.
- Certain migraine medications such as Imitrex can cause serious abnormalities in a growing fetus, including decreased fetal body weight, skeletal abnormalities, cervicothoracic vascular defects, and decreased ossification, among other things.
Drug Defects & Dispensing Errors
Side effects are not the only cause for concern with prescription drugs. Some companies have been known to rush drugs to the market without proper testing to ensure their safety, which has led to injury and death in some cases.
In addition, sometimes the injury is caused not by the drug itself but by dispensing errors. If your pharmacist dispensed or your doctor prescribed the wrong drug or the wrong dose or failed to warn you of dangerous drug combinations, our lawyers can hold the pharmacy and/or the doctor responsible.
For a free and confidential consultation, contact us now to speak with a lawyer from Chatham Gilder Howell Pittman,
Chatham Gilder Howell Pittman helps those who have serious side effects from prescription drugs throughout Northern Mississippi including the cities of Southaven and Hernando as well as the counties of DeSoto, Marshall, Tate, and Tunica.